Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Useful Crap I Can't Remember and Useless Crap I Can Remember

Useless crap I can remember:
  • Ethanol is the antidote for Methanol poisoning.
  • Neckties were originally used as napkins of sort, but are now simply decorative (and completely useless).
  • The vast majority of bacteria we come in contact with have no virulent effects on humans, yet we see it fit to kill all of them on our hands.
  • Ketamine users often report experiencing unaccessible dimensions or rifts in space, known as 'the K-Hole'.
  • Schizophrenia is thought to be caused by excess levels of dopamine in the brain.
  • Serotonin levels play a direct role in one's perception of social status. Higher levels result from increased caloric intake which result from higher social status. Presumably.
  • Facial symmetry is a primary factor when determining attractiveness. Very few people are aware of this.
  • Friedrich Wohler, upon isolating Urea from urine, believed he had discovered an ethereal 'life force' due to Urea's faint glow.
  • 75% of Neanderthal skeletons discovered have dental hypoplasia, which indicates significant malnutrition.
  • The phase of a wave refers to the direction it travels in. Two waves can combine with different phases to produce different harmonics.
  • Humans have the slowest growth rate of any known mammal.
  • In their early days, electric vehicles were superior to gas-powered vehicles in terms of top speed, acceleration, cost, and reliability. Most likely big oil execs pushed for Americans to favor gasoline just to make money.
  • Thomas Edison invented the first practical light bulb. The first lightbulb was invented 80 years prior to Edison's and used a platinum filament.
  • Frederick Douglass was a strong advocate of women's rights.
  • Neanderthals consumed around 8000 calories a day. Now that's the life.
Useful crap I can't remember
  • Where I put my keys
  • My class schedule
  • Homework due dates
  • Reading assignments
  • My professors' names
  • Hours the pool is open
  • How to prepare food
  • Today's date, and occasionally the current year
  • My street address
Conclusion
I don't really remember what I was trying to get at. But I do know the hippocampus plays a role in memory encoding.

No comments:

Post a Comment